Saturday, June 14, 2008

An Open Advice About Career Decisions

"Just a few weeks ago, a friend messaged me about quitting her job. Not because she hates the job but because her relationship with her direct boss was no longer good since their higher boss knew that she was sent to a place alone (without the direct boss). I sent this article to her which, a friend sent me by email. I don't know if this gave an impact to her(hopefully it did) but I also want to share this to you. In no time, this might help you."

------------------------------


Several of my staff has approached me lately about their
career
decisions. I really appreciate my staff opening up
to me.
It is quite reassuring to know that they're still
having second thoughts about
leaving. Here is part of
the email I sent to a "confused" staff:


I have worked for more than 5 companies already
so I guess you might be
correct in saying I have
had considerable experience about leaving and
moving
on. I will not stop you nor tell you to leave, though of
course
it will be better if you stay. In any career decision,
leaving or
staying I believe, based from my personal
experiences, should only be
done for the right reasons.

thanks to http://www.camosun.ca for this photo

For one, you shouldn't leave because you don't like
several people in
the company, nor should you stay
because of the friends you have made
here. At the
end of the day, it is your life. Your friends or
"enemies" should
not make or break your career.
If you let them be the deciding factor,
then maybe
you should think twice. You are the craftsman of
your fate
and the captain of your ship. Captain Hook
shouldn't be one of your
worries!

Do not leave nor stay because of the "brand" of
your company. If that
was the case, I would have
rushed off and sign my JO in "C"! Ask
yourself whether
you want to be a big fish in a small pond or a small

fish in a bigger pond. Know your priorities. Only you
can answer that.


Do not leave the company because you're so damn
frustrated about the way
things are being run, or
stay because you have this "messianic complex"
that
you can change things overnight. Be realistic
about the things .


Learn to accept that there is no perfect company. Be
accepting that
change is a slow and painful process
at times and be thankful that you
realize and act on
things that can be changed and improved.
Definitely,
do not leave or stay just because
your parents want you to. I know I am
advocating
obedience to parents but again, we are talking
about YOUR
career. But learn to value their wisdom
and discern well.


Money isn't everything. The package being offered
now might be better
but look at the long-term
prospects. Do not leave or stay just solely on
the
compensation package . Look for growth prospects
and review their
career plans for you . Your
immediate gains today might actually be a
loss a
few years from now if you do the Math.

thanks to http://www.masterrepro.com for this photo

Boredom is another challenge all professionals are
faced with during
lull periods in their career. Do not
leave because you have become so
bored with your
job. Do not stay either because you want things as
they
are.

Change is inevitable in any organization. Talk to
your boss. Ask for
more responsibilities or other
tasks if you're bored. Enroll in a
special course.
If you're satisfied with the status quo and is
just
waiting for retirement hoping things will
stay the same, you're in for a
big disappointment-
either you will be forced to change or you will
be
forced to leave. Be ready before that time
comes. Boredom or complacency
is perennial
battle most professionals have to deal with.
Arm yourself
with creativity everyday!

Tonight I suggest you rest well. Sit still and
listen to what He is
saying. PRAY. I have always
made my career decisions through His
guidance.
He was and still is my Career Adviser/Talent
Manager. Your work, our
work, is a vocation.
He knows us more than we know ourselves so
trust
Him for whatever plans He has for you.
You can never go wrong.


And remember: "Use your head to get to the
top. But use your heart to
stay."

No comments:

My Flickriver

© acubepixel © - View my most interesting photos on Flickriver